Thursday, August 12, 2010

This Week's Bin: Local, Organic Goodies at My Doorstep

Okay, so I meant to write this post two days ago.  However, I really wanted to get the empanada ideas out, and then yesterday I worked a 12-hour day and was super-pooped when I finally got home after 9:00.  So, I'm finally getting down to letting you guys know specifically what came in my biweekly Organics to You bin.  Now keep in mind, I could choose to receive the delivery weekly, but because of schedules and my familia's eating habits, biweekly is better for us.  What I receive is the "Small Bin" with the "Fruit Add-on." I pay $48 per bin/delivery and the lovely people at Organics to You deliver right to my door every other Tuesday afternoon.

I am hoping to make this a regular part of my blog (for the time being), mostly because I hope to get comments with ideas or suggestions of how to prepare some of the included foods.  Also, because I am constantly talking about this service, how much I enjoy it, and how many varieties of fresh items are included.  So without further ado, here's what came this week:

2 HUGE heads of Romaine lettuce
1 bunch of Swiss Chard (the red kind)
3 yellow bell peppers
1 bunch of green onions
5 large white potatoes
1 lb (or so) of green beans
1 English cucumber
1 large bunch of red, white and purple radishes

2 small watermelons
4 white plums
1/2 pint of blackberries
1/2 pint of bing cherries
5 bananas
2 peaches
4 donut peaches
3 nectarines
2 grapefruits
4 oranges

I must say, some weeks seem to be more abundant than others, and this one was not particularly impressive.  Everything, however, is just SO fresh and delicious....it's not uncommon for me to open the bin and start sampling everything!

Now.....does anyone have any ideas for how to prepare radishes????

No comments:

Post a Comment